*Club Constitution can be found on the Membership page*
Westbury Wheelers Constitution Rule 5k: “Prospective members may participate in a maximum of three Club rides before commitment to joining the Club is required.”
- Ensure your membership is up to date and that you are adequately insured.
- Carry your Westbury Wheelers membership card with personal details filled in.
- Make sure your bicycle is roadworthy and lubricate the chain.
- Bring 2 spare inner tubes, tyre levers and a pump.
- Fit front and rear lights according to the light and/or weather conditions.
- Bring sufficient fluids, plus energy food for longer rides.
- Carry a mobile phone for emergencies and/or navigation.
- Bring some cash for the café stop.
- Wear the Westbury Wheelers club strip if possible.
- Check the weather forecast and bring additional clothing as needed.
- A properly fitted cycle helmet is strongly recommended.
- Arrive at the start location 5 minutes before the published start time.
- Join the group that is best suited to your experience and ability.
- Follow the instructions of the ride leader: your safety may depend on it.
- Ride together as a group at all times so that no one gets left behind.
- Riding 2 abreast is normal, but single out for narrow or busy roads and blind bends.
- Never ride more than 2 abreast unless deliberately changing position in the line.
- Follow the wheel in front closely; a slight offset is acceptable but do not overlap.
- In wet or slippery conditions, allow a little more space to the next wheel.
- Pedal smoothly and continuously: no sudden movements or changes of pace.
- Be gentle with the brakes: slow down by sitting up and moving into the wind.
- If standing up, do so smoothly without throwing your bike backwards.
- Maintain momentum: ride through the top of climbs and the bottom of dips.
- Hold your line in corners: do not swing wide or cut in.
- When riding on the front, avoid surging, gapping or half-wheeling.
- Where there is 2-way traffic, always keep to the left of the centre line of the road.
- Spot and point out significant road hazards, but don’t overreact to them.
- Use the correct hand signals and verbal warnings, and pass them along the line.
- If you (or anyone else) are falling behind, call “half a notch” in good time.
- In the event of a puncture or breakdown, shout “mechanical” to stop the group.
- Answer calls of nature in a discreet location away from the road.
- Save eating, drinking, chatting and adjusting clothing for further back in the group.
- Safety is paramount at all times.
- The maximum group size on a Westbury Wheelers club ride is 12.
- Show unfailing consideration towards other road users.
- Keep the group tight and focused: don’t drift off or meander.
- Comply with the Highway Code, obeying all traffic lights, markings and signage.
- Make your presence known to horse riders, then pass slowly with a wide berth.
- Slow down for pedestrians, dogs, prams, children, the disabled and the elderly.
- Never offer, react to or reciprocate with foul and abusive language or gestures.
- Do not drop litter.